- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 11
- Preparation Time:
- Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 8 1/4 cups non-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 4-6 portobello mushrooms (stems discarded), cut in 1/2” thick and 1”long slices
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp. dried sage, or to taste
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped almonds or pecans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat large, non-stick pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Place 1 tbsp. oil in pan and heat until very hot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent and mixture is golden. Add 4 1/2 cups broth and bring mixture to boil. Add wild rice, reduce heat to simmer, cover pot, and simmer 25 minutes. Add brown rice and remaining 3 3/4 cups broth to pot. Bring mixture to boil and immediately reduce heat to simmer. Cover pot and continue cooking until both wild and brown rice are barely tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, heat large, non-stick pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Place 2 tsp. oil in pan and heat until very hot. Stirring constantly, sauté mushrooms, cooking in batches if necessary, depending on size of pan, so they are not crowded. If cooking in batches, transfer each finished batch to a bowl and begin process again, using a little more oil each time, until all mushrooms are sautéed.
- When rice is barely tender, mix in parsley, sage, green onion and nuts. Cover and cook on low heat about 5 minutes longer, or until green onion is soft and rice is tender. Remove pot from heat, uncover and allow rice to cool slightly. Add mushrooms and stir until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste and more sage, if desired. Serve immediately or store, tightly covered, in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Makes about 11 cups of stuffing
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More