- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 3 large beets
- 4 cups liquid, (chicken stock, beef stock, or water)
- 1 Tablespoon oil or butter
- 1 medium onion, medium dice
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 half small cabbage
- 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, or to taste
- lemon juice or a little more cider vinegar, to taste
- salt and pepper , to taste
- sour cream or yogurt, for garnish
- dill, fresh or dried for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wrap beets in foil and roast for one hour or until tender. Cool with cold water (reserving liquid to preserve color if desired.) Remove skins (over bowl to reserve liquid if desired). Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Peel potatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces. Place in a pot and and cover with cold water. Add salt and cook over medium heat until tender (approximate 20 to 30 minutes).
- Heat oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add cider vinegar and saute to au sec (almost dry). Add caraway seeds, celery, carrots and cabbage, plus 2 cups of the liquid (including reserved beet liquid if using). Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender (10-15 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, dill, brown sugar or honey, beets and potatoes. Cover and simmer for at least 15 more minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, topped with sour cream or yogurt and dill.
NotesThis recipe is adapted from the New Moosewood Cookbook. Served with some hearty bread, this makes for a warming but light winter meal. Use beef stock and add beef or sausage for a heavier but more authentic stew.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
MetroCooking DC 2013
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More