- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound Swiss chard, stems trimmed, leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 russet potato, peeled, cubed
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 (14-ounce) cans low-sodium beef broth
- 1 ounce piece Parmesan cheese rind
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Saute until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and potato; saute for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and rosemary sprig. Simmer until the chard is wilted and the tomatoes break down, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend 3/4 cup of the beans with 1/4 cup of the broth in a processor until almost smooth.
- Add the pureed bean mixture, remaining broth, and Parmesan cheese rind to the vegetable mixture. Simmer until the potato pieces are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the whole beans and parsley. Simmer until the beans are heated through and the soup is thick, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Discard Parmesan rind and rosemary sprig (the leaves will have fallen off of the stem.)
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.