- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI just invented this name and recipe tonight. It's typical old-school, peasant cooking; a variation of Potato & Leek chowder, essentially- but more hearty, I think, with the other veggies. A good way to use seasonal veggies, and cook them up in my favorite vessel, the LeCreuset Dutch oven. It's still cooking as I type; Quality Control results thus far are that it is YUM already. Can't wait til it's done!
- 1/3 c Olive oil
- 3 med Potatoes- your favorites, any combo
- 1/2 Onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 lg Leek
- 1/2 head Cauliflower, pieces
- 1 rib Celery, sliced
- 1/2 head green Cabbage, sliced
- 1 tblsp Penzey's Ozark seasoning
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- 3-4 tblsp Flour
- 1 tsp Red Pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 qt Milk
- 3-4 tblsp Butter
- Heat oil in lg Dutch Oven. Add potatoes, onion, garlic; season w/some Ozark, salt & pepper; sauté 7-10min. Add remaining veggies, more Ozark to taste, and pepper flakes; repeat as before and stir to keep from overbrowning. Cook 15min or so, til veggies are becoming tender.
- Reduce heat; sprinkle w/flour, stir to coat and cook 1-2min til very thick. Add milk in a stream, stirring constantly to prevent lumps, til well-incorporated. Cover and simmer 30-45min, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, til potatoes are very tender. Finish w/butter, stirring to melt and blend, and- Enjoy!