- Cooking Time: 15 minutes + cooling
- Servings: 30
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes
BackstoryYou want to keep this clever recipe under your hat! The chocolate-covered rice cereal treat will appeal to kids and adults alike.
- 8 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 12 cups crisp rice cereal
- 3-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 ice cream sugar cone
- 4 sour apple Laffy Taffy candies
- 4 grape Laffy Taffy candies
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine marshmallows and butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted and blended. Remove from the heat; stir in cereal. Press 4 cups into a greased 9-in. round pan and remaining mixture into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan; cool.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine confectioners' sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate until melted and smooth. Stir in vanilla. Cool until mixture is thickened, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. In a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in chocolate mixture until blended. Cover and refrigerate up to 30 minutes.
- 4. To assemble hat, cut six circles out of cereal mixture in the 15-in. x 1-in. pan using 5-1/2-in., 5-in., 4-1/2-in., 4-in., 3-in. and 2-in. round cookie cutters (save remaining mixture for another use). Remove cereal mixture from 9-in. pan and place onto a serving platter. Top with remaining circles, stacking from large to small. Top with sugar cone. Spread with frosting.
- 5.Unwrap and microwave apple candies on high for 10-20 seconds or until softened. Roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. moon- and a 1-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Repeat with grape candies. Press moons and stars onto hat. Refrigerate leftovers.