WOLFGANG PUCK'S BEEF GOULASH
Wolfgang Puck's Beef Goulash
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon spicy paprika
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 pounds beef shank, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions and sugar until caramelized. Add the garlic and caraway seed. Cook another minute.
Add the sweet and sharp paprika, marjoram, thyme and bay leaf. Sauté another minute, until fragrant.
Add the tomato paste. Deglaze with the vinegar and the stock and add the pieces of beef shank, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Serve with Spaetzle on the side