WORLDS BEST LASAGNA
- Cooking Time: 2 hrs 30 min
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 6 ounces lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (6.5 ounce) can canned tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1/2 pound ricotta cheese
- 1/2 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
NotesThis recipe is for 12 people which is perfect for something simple, but delicious for a big crowd coming over for some games and poker.
You can change the serving size by going to the allrecipes link below to adjust it to how many people you're looking to feed.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More