- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups cold water
- 4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. Ground cloves
- 2 tbsp. Cocoa
- 1 lg. Cooking spoon shortening (1/2 cup)
- 1 pound seeded raisins
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- (1 cup chopped walnuts)
- (1 6oz. Jar maraschino cherries Ã¢â‚¬â€œ cut in halves)
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT baking soda, hot water, flour and salt in a large saucepan and cook on medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Remove mixture from stove and cool.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water and let stand until cold.
- Add flour, salt and soda and water mixture to the cooked mixture.
- Add nuts and cherries to final mixture.
- Bake at 350º in any size pan (I use a 13x9 pan) for about 40 minutes.
- Will make 2 loaves or a tube pan (even cupcakes).
NotesThis is a family recipe that goes back to when I was little (some 40 plus years ago). This cake is wonderful from October through Christmas. It smells wonderful while baking too! When I was 6 years old, my Mom made this for Christmas dinner and I managed to pick all the cherries out of it while it was cooling on the counter. My mother was furious! Here was the cake filled with holes! She fixed it by covering it with Cool Whip. Notice that my mother refers to the measurement of shortening as "1 large cooking spoon" - equate that to about 1/2 cup of shortening. Anything in parenthesis was 'edited' by me from the original recipe to make it more understandable from my Mom's original. Forget the diet with this one and just enjoy!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Adventures in CookingSee More
Mama Mia ... Lentils Italian Style
Gabriola Clam Chowder
Gen's Vegetable Love PizzaSee More