- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Pickled watermelon rinds
- Ingredients for pickling the rinds:
- 6 cups water
- 9 cups of cubed pared watermelon rind
- 4 cups suga1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 t. oil of cinnamon
- 1/4 t. oil of cloves
- For pickling rinds: First day:Heat water to boiling Add rinds, simmer until tender, 10 to 15 min. Drain rind, place in glass bowl. combine remaining ingredients in sauce pan heat to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour hot syrup over rinds. Cool, cover and let set overnight.
- Second day: Drain rind reserving syrup. Heat syrup to boiling again, pour over rinds and cover and let stand over night.
- Third day: Repeat
- Fourth Day: Prepare jars for canning, heat rinds and syrup to boiling, if desired add 1 drop of red or green food coloring. Process and cool, store in mason jars!
- Now for the tasty bacon wrapped rinds:
- Take a slice of bacon and cut in 4 pieces and wrapp each rind and secure with toothpick. Continue until all are wrapped!
- place on BBQ grill and serve as dessert or appetizer!
NotesYohann, our friend won first place at Homer's backyard cook-off for the dessert category 2 years ago! Hope you will try these, they are really tasty! Something different to make at your next BBQ!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
The Italian Exchange
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Rich Chocolate Pecan Pie
Cheesy Stuffed Baked Ziti
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLESee More