- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 12 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 3/4 cups sifted granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 275° with rack in center. Sift flour four times. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or with a flat wire whisk, beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Add cream of tartar, and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- With machine running, add sugar in a slow, steady stream, beating until fully incorporated and stiff glossy peaks form. Add vanilla and almond extracts, and beat to combine.
- Remove from mixer. Gradually add flour, gently but thoroughly folding it into egg-white mixture until fully combined. Pour into an ungreased angel-food-cake pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air bubbles. Bake 30 minutes. Increase temperature to 325°. Bake 30 minutes more. Cool, inverted, 1 hour before removing pan.
NotesI perfected my Angelfood cakes for my friend John who loves to eat them covered in Marshmallow Creme and sprinkles! Crazy!