- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 12 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 3/4 cups sifted granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 275° with rack in center. Sift flour four times. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or with a flat wire whisk, beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Add cream of tartar, and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- With machine running, add sugar in a slow, steady stream, beating until fully incorporated and stiff glossy peaks form. Add vanilla and almond extracts, and beat to combine.
- Remove from mixer. Gradually add flour, gently but thoroughly folding it into egg-white mixture until fully combined. Pour into an ungreased angel-food-cake pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air bubbles. Bake 30 minutes. Increase temperature to 325°. Bake 30 minutes more. Cool, inverted, 1 hour before removing pan.
NotesI perfected my Angelfood cakes for my friend John who loves to eat them covered in Marshmallow Creme and sprinkles! Crazy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Italy or Bust
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
NFPG Recipe CollectionSee More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More