- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, divided
- 4 cups broth
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef (and not just for the nutrition, but so you don't get a greasy broth!)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley or a couple Tbsp. fresh
- dill, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- Cut the onion in half.
- Finely mince or grate one half and put in a medium sized bowl.
- Dice the other half of the onion.
- Add butter to saucepan or small casserole or stockpot to melt.
- Add the diced onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the broth to the pot and bring to a light boil.
- Meanwhile, make the meatballs.
- To the grated/minced onion, add the beef, salt, parsley, dill, ground pepper, uncooked rice and 1 beaten egg.
- Form the mixture into 1" meatballs (you will get around 25 or so).
- Drop the meatballs into the broth.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 20-25 minutes, until meatballs cook through and rice is done.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the 3 remaining eggs with the lemon juice until combined.
- Slowly drizzle 2 ladles of the broth from the meatballs into the egg/lemon mixture, stirring continuously so as not to scramble the eggs.
- Slowly pour the egg/lemon/broth mixture back into the meatballs, again stirring continuously as you do so.
- Season to taste again, if necessary.
- Serve meatballs with a ladle of sauce (or as much as you want).
NotesAlso in my blog: http://ellysaysopa.vox.com
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Two Layer Peppermint Bark
Spicy Bean Tamales
The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever!See More