- Cooking Time: 40-50
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 6 c fruit (your choice: strawberry/rhubarb, blueberry, blackberry, apple, peach, etc); chopped or sliced (if needed)
- 1/4 - 1/2 c honey (to taste, depending on the natural sweetness of fruit)
- 1/2 c flour (we use whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/2 c rolled oats
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1.5 - 2 tsp spice (your choice: pumpkin pie spice, apple pie spice, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc)
- 1/3 c butter (we use unsalted, organic butter)
- Mix fruit, honey and 1/2 - 1 tsp of spice.
- Scoop into an 8x8 baking dish.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar and remaining spice.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes until bubbly and golden.
NotesAbout a year ago, my husband was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. As we educated ourselves about this disease, we decided to improve our eating habits by eliminating preservatives and processed foods from our diet. Barbara Kingsolver's book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" was a wonderful read, educational, and a great resource for seasonal recipes. We've adapted her crisp recipe to fit many seasonal fruits and have enjoyed each creative result! I wanted to share because it is easy, simple and a healthy alternative for a sweet treat!
Submitted by: "Susi Butler"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Get Cookin'See More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More