- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryDressing: I prefer a vinaigrette or a garlic mayonnaise.
To keep the flowers and lettuce from wilting, don’t toss the salad with the dressing beforehand: allow people to add their own dressing.
The flowers are edible.
Kosher (pareve or dairy) and vegetarian (ovo-lacto or vegan), depending on dressing and optional ingredients.
- Purple (red) cabbage, shredded
- Sprouts (alfalfa, mung, mixed)
- Carrot, grated
- Nasturtiums: Freshly picked
- Salad dressing
- Optional Ingredients:
- Green onion, chopped
- Artichoke hearts
- Bell Pepper (red, yellow or green)
- Asparagus spears (freshly cooked)
- Pine nuts (pignoli) or pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds)
- Hardboiled Eggs (chopped or sliced)
- Grated Cheese
- Garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- Wash and prepare cucumber, tomato, cabbage, lettuce, sprouts, carrots, and avocado.
- Wash and prepare optional ingredients: green onions, artichoke hearts, bell paper, asparagus, nuts, garbanzo beans, hard-boiled eggs, and/or cheese.
- Arrange all ingredients in large salad bowl.
- Amounts and proportions used will vary according to the number being served and the chef’s preferences.
- Arrange over top of salad several freshly picked, washed Nasturtiums. Use both yellow and orange, if possible.
- Serve with your favorite dressing.