- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 45
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) finely ground almonds
- 1 3/4 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or stick margarine, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur or 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- * If time is short, you can use refrigerated pie dough.
- For the Crust: Place almonds, flour and sugar in the work bowl of a food processor, fitted with a metal blade. Scatter butter on top of the mixture and pulse just until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and process just until dough gathers in a ball. Divide the dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other, and shape into 1-inch-thick discs. Wrap the dough pieces separately in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 375ºF.
- For the Filling: Combine the cherry pie filling, orange liqueur and orange zest in a medium bowl and mix until thoroughly blended. Place the larger dough on a lightly floured board and roll out into an 11-inch circle. Press the dough into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom and trim the edges. Roll the smaller dough into a 10-inch circle and cut into 10, 3/4-inch-wide strips. Spoon filling onto the pastry dough in the tart pan and spread to an even thickness. Arrange the dough strips in lattice pattern on top of filling. Gently press the ends into pastry shell and seal with the fingertips. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove the ring of the pan and cool completely.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 370; Total fat 16g; Saturated fat 8g;Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 25mg; Total carbohydrate 52g; Fiber 2g; Protein 5g; Vitamin A 10%DV; Vitamin C 6% DV; Calcium 4%DV; Iron 10%DV *Daily Value
NotesZESTY CHERRY-ORANGE PIE
For a simple dessert that's both sweet and tart, indulge occasionally. Try this recipe, made with tart pie cherries from your pantry. It's great with your favorite ice cream!