- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 4 cups cold, cooked rice (I like basmati), fluffed with fork
- 3 eggs, scrambled
- Canola or peanut oil, as needed per preference
- Butter, as needed per preference
- 1/2 medium-size onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 small carrots, cut thin on a diagonal
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut in small florets (stems discarded)
- 3 scallions, sliced diagonally
- Beans sprouts
- 6-7 Tbsp. soy sauce (your favorite type, Japanese dark, lite, low sodium, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp. cooking sherry
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. thick soy sauce (optional, found in Asian markets, adds color to rice and a little flavor; a little goes a long way)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your scrambled eggs in a small amount of butter and set aside.
- Heat about 1 Tbsp. oil and 1-2 Tbsp. butter in a wok over high heat. Working quickly, stir-fry the broccoli about 2 minutes, then add the carrots and onions and continue to stir-fry vegetables tender crisp.
- Add the soy sauce to the vegetables and continue frying over medium-hot heat. Add more butter, if desired, then add the rice while continuing to stir-fry constantly so the rice doesn't burn to the bottom of the wok.
- Add cooking sherry, stirring continuously, then the cooked eggs and scallions.
- Stir in the thick soy sauce, if using, and sprinkle the sesame oil over the rice. Continue the stir fry process until all the rice is heated through and ingredients well incorporated. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper per your taste.
NotesMy family loves Chinese Fried Rice and I'm always trying to find new recipes and create my own versions of this dish. Here's my basic version for you to try. Experiment and add your own veggies, meat, shellfish...be creative! Remember not to overcook the vegetables; keep them crisp.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More