- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup dry cheese -(queso cotija, a Mexican crumbling cheese)
- 1 jalapeno (or more if you like it hot)
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- tomato-based salsa of your choice
- Shred the zucchini on the big holes on a box grater. Add a pinch of salt to the shredded zucchini to help draw out the water. Wrap the zucchini in a linen-style towel or napkin or cheesecloth. Squeeze out as much water as you can from the bundle. Let it sit for an hour wrapped and squeeze again.
- Remove the seeds and membranes from the jalapeno. Finely dice the pepper.
- Unwrap the zucchini and dump it into a bowl. Beat two eggs lightly in a separate bowl. Dump the eggs into the zucchini bowl along with the cheese, diced jalapeno, a pich of salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat enough oil in a small skillet to cover the botom 1/4" deep. When the oil is hot, you are ready to begin frying the fritters.
- Take 1/4 cup of the zucchini mix and lower it slowly into the oil, then squished the fritter down with the spatula so the crown of it is just peeking out over the oil.
- Fry the fritter until the bottom is browned. The edges should be a rich brown, the middle may still be pale. Flip the fritter carefully and fry the second side until it's also browned. Remove to a plate covered with paper towels and blot to remove some of the oil.
- Let the oil come back up to temperature and repeat with the rest of the mix.
- When you are done. Take a couple big spoonfuls of your favorite salsa and spread them across the middle of the plate. Lay the fritters on the salsa and serve. The salsa should be cool and the fritters hot.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Fit With Good Food!
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More