- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 5
- Preparation Time: 60
BackstoryThis recipe is adapted from Anya Bremzen's Russian cookbook, 'Please to the Table'. I love her recipes, but so many are much higher in fat than I like, and not just for 'health' reasons, but also I think addition of too much butter or oil or other fats can often drown out the natural flavors of other foods. So I try to reduce the amount of fats, play with the other ingredients, and thereby actually (or hopefully) enhance the flavor of the meal.
These fritters are really tasty, I have found that 'bake-frying' them not only significantly reduces the amount of oil used, but very importantly, makes the last part of cooking them a very easy process.
- 3 zuchinni, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp. salt
- Olive oil
- 3/4 c. finely chopped onion
- 2-3 oz. Chevre cheese
- 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Pepper and salt
- Sour cream, for serving.
- 1. In a colander, toss zucchini with 1 tsp. salt. Place in a large bowl so that zucchini can drain. Let stand for 30 min. Rinse thoroughly under cold running water. To remove excess water from zucchini, place on a sheet of cheesecloth, roll up the cloth and wring it out, then place zucchini on paper towels for extra drying.
- 2. Heat 2-3 tsp. oil over medium heat, add onion and saute, stirring often until softened, about 7 minutes. Transfer to bowl and cool for about 5 minutes.
- 3. In a large bowl, mix zucchini, cheese, onion, and dill. I find that since all ingredients are 'wet', it's often easiest to do this with your hands.
- 4. Beat the flour into the eggs, and add to the zucchini mixture. I do not always add the entire flour/egg mixture to the zucchini, it depends on the texture that you prefer the batter to turn out. Addition of more batter will lend the fritters more a pancake quality, whereas addition of less gives them more of a 'fritter-like' texture. This is something that can be played with. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and spray or brush with olive oill. Drop about 1.5 tablespoon of batter onto the foil, spacing about 1 inch apart. Pat lightly with spatula to flatten. Spray or brush tops of the patties with oil.
- 6. Bake for 15 min., remove from oven and flip over, and bake for 10 min. more so that patties are golden on both sides.
- 7. Serve warm with sour cream or yogurt.
- Makes about 10 patties.