- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Australian Lamb leg, boneless
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea or kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- olive oil
- 2 Persian or 1/2 english cucumber
- 1/2 bulb fennel (anise), white part only
- 2 bunches watercress, leaves separated from roots
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Remove netting and open leg of lamb.
- Pound to around 1-2 inch thickness.
- Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or overnight for a more “cured” flavor.
- Drain away excess juices and pat lamb dry with a paper towel, wiping off excess seasoning.
- Allow to come to room temperature, then brush generously with olive oil.
- Preheat grill or barbecue to medium high and add remaining oil.
- Add lamb and brown on all sides, then continue to barbecue, turning occasionally for 10-20 minutes, depending on thickness.
- The lamb can be finished in a covered grill or 350F oven.
- Transfer to clean platter, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- For the salad, cut cucumber and fennel in half lengthwise and slice as thinly as possible.
- For paper-thin slices, use a vegetable peeler or mandolin.
- Place in large bowl with watercress leaves.
- Just before serving, whisk the oil, juice of 1/2 of the lemon, mustard, and season to taste.
- Toss through the salad.
- Place salad on large platter or individual plates.
- Slice desired amount of lamb thinly across the grain and arrange over salad.
- Squeeze over extra lemon juice, or lemon-infused oil.
- Toss the salad with half of the dressing and serve with the chops.
- Drizzle the chops with the rest of the dressing.
- Serve with a dry, full-bodied white wine and crusty bread.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Vegan Eats!See More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More