CAJUN STEAK SANDWICH
- For the steak and onion:
- 1 yellow onion, sliced about 1/2-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 top sirloin steaks, about 8 ounces each
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- For the sandwiches:
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, low-fat whipped
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 4 small loaves focaccia, sliced in half
- 4 large lettuce leaves (green leaf, bibb or romaine), shredded
For the steak and onion:
1. Preheat the grill to high.
2. Brush the onion slices with olive oil and then season the steaks and onion slices with salt and pepper. Cook them on the grill to the desired doneness, about 6 minutes per side for medium on the steaks and about 2-3 minutes per side for the onions. Use a spatula to flip the onion slices in order to keep the rings together. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and slice on the bias.
For the sandwiches:
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and Cajun seasoning.
2. Lay out the focaccia on a work surface in front of you. Divide the cream cheese mixture among the sandwiches, spreading it out on each slice of focaccia. Divide the lettuce among the sandwiches, top with a few slices of steak and a slice of grilled onion. Place the focaccia tops on each sandwich.
3. Slice the sandwiches on the diagonal and serve.