- Cooking Time: 90 minutes
- Servings: 16 bars
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Backstorywhen I first came across this recipe for adding curry to carmel pecan bars I wasn't sure what to think.I was too afraid to try it for the first few times.I finaly tried adding curry to it and was surprised to find out I had been missing the whole point of this recpie.The curry adds a whole other demension to these that you have to try.
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter,chilled and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 tbl. distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. curry powder (optional but you really have to try it just once before you decide you don't like it)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound pecan halves
- 1. make the crust: in a food processor pulse the flour with the sugar and salt.Add the cubed butter and process until the mixture resembles corse meal.Sprinkle on the ice water and vinegar and process until the crumbs are evenly moistened.Turn the crumbs out on a sheet of wax paper and knead just until dough comes together.Pat dough into a disk, wrap into plastic and refridgerate 15 minutes or until slightly chilled.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375.line bottom of a 13x9 inch metal baking pan with parchment paper. Roll dough between 2 sheets of wax paper to an 11 by 15 inch rectangle.trim dough to fit pan and use strips to form a rim around pan.refridgerate pan until firm 30 minutes.
- 3. Line the dough with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dry beansbake for about 25 minutes or until dough is just set.remove paper and weights and bake crust 12 minutes longer.until lightly golden and set.Let cool
- 4.Make the topping
- In a large saucepan combine the butter and brown sugar,honey and saly.cook over moderate heat until foamy and slightly thicknedabout ten minutes.Add the curry powder(if using) and cream and cook until a candy thermometer registers 240( soft ball stage) about tem minutes longer. Add pecans and cook two minutes longer pour filling over crust spreading evenly and bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden and topping is bubbling.let cool completelyand slide parchment onto cutting board and cut into bars.