- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- • ½ stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- • 2 medium onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- • 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- • 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- • 3 tablespoons curry powder
- • 2 teaspoons salt
- • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- • ½ teaspoon cayenne
- • 1 (3 ½- to 4-pound) chicken, cut into 10 serving pieces
- • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- • ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- • ¾ cup cashews (1/4 pound)
- • ¾ cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- • Accompaniment: cooked basmati or jasmine rice
- • Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat butter in a 5- to 6-quart wide heavy pot over moderately low heat until foam subsides, then cook onions, garlic, and ginger, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring to coat, 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, including juice, and cilantro and bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes. (If making ahead, see cooks’ note, below.)
- Just before serving:
- Pulse cashews in a food processor or electric coffee/spice grinder until very finely ground, then add to curry along with yogurt and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Cooks’ note: Curry, without yogurt and cashews, can be made 5 days ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, covered. Reheat over low heat before stirring in yogurt and ground cashews.
- Yum! I really liked this mild curry, although I generally like my indian dishes to have a bit more depth. This recipe is perfect if you have never made a curry before. I doubled everything but the chicken and added some frozen peas roasted curried cauliflower. Next time I will use greek yogurt since I missed that tangy flavor.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.See More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More