- Cooking Time: -
- Servings: covers 1 2-tier 9"cake
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 stick butter
- 2/3 C cocoa powder (NOT dutch process)
- 2 C confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 C milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbls raspberry preserves
- Melt butter, stir in cocoa.
- Add confectioners' sugar and milk alternately. I find it better to mix by hand with a whisk, but beat on low if you prefer power tools.
- Add preserves and vanilla, mix until well incorporated. Add more milk if needed.
NotesHershey's cocoa has recipes on the box for cake, hot cocoa, and frosting. While I enjoy the hot cocoa and the cake is awesome, I wasn't crazy about the frosting. The sweetness overpowered the chocolate, there was no subtlety. So, I made a couple of changes. I cut out 1/3 of the sugar called for, giving it a darker, more chocolatey flavour; I also added raspberry preserves-- just a little-- which gives a nice subtle flavour.
A more 'adult' version of the frosting, in my opinion.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
A Falcon Feast
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More