- Cooking Time: 30
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 bunch scallions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 oz Spanish chorizo (cured spiced pork sausage), cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 lb yellow-fleshed potatoes such as Yukon Gold (about 4 medium), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 9 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 5 oz Manchego or white Cheddar, coarsely grated (2 cups)
- PreparationPut oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a 13- by 9-inch baking pan or dish.
- Finely chop white and green parts of scallions and reserve separately.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onions, garlic, white parts of scallions, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to brown and release oil, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to moderate, then stir in potatoes and cover skillet.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, sour cream, cheese, scallion greens, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl, then pour into baking pan.
- Sprinkle potato mixture over eggs (some potatoes will stick out).
- Bake until custard is set, about 20 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack to warm or room temperature.
- Trim 1/2 inch off each side, then cut tortilla into 1 1/2- by 1-inch rectangles.
- Cooks' note: Tortilla can be baked 1 day ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, covered.
- Cut into squares, then bring to room temperature before serving or reheat to warm in a preheated 325°F oven