- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThese are seriously good eats. I love pancakes but - you know, pancakes are teh evol. They do terrible things to my blood sugar and don't contain very much in the "good for you" line. I saw a version of these and the found a recipe in How to Cook Everything and I knew I had to try them. I made a few changes, partially so I could easily halve the recipe and partly to decrease the fat a bit.
- 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose (actually, I used a whole-wheat blend)
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half, fat free (if needed)
- Preheat griddle or large skillet over medium low heat while you make the batter.
- Beat together the cottage cheese, yogurt and egg yolks. Combine the dry ingredients. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the cottage cheese mixture but do not overbeat. Gently fold in the egg whites. Stripes of white may still be visible in the batter - they’re meant to be.
- Spray the griddle with neutral non-fat cooking spray. Scoop 1/4 cup ladles of batter onto the griddle. Cook until lightly browned on the bottom (3-5 minutes) then flip and cook until the second side is browned. Serve immediately.
- Serve with a dollop of sugar free jam if desired.
- Makes 16 pancakes
- Per Pancake: 59 Calories; 4g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g fat; 112mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.