- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 1
- Preparation Time: 10
- for one serving:
- 1/3 cup steel cut oatmeal
- 1 1/2 water or fruit juice or a water/juice combo
- one chopped apple (or peach, pear, or orange sections)
- 1/4 c raisins or dried cranberries
- one sliced banana
- 1/4 chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 -1/2 c chai spiced milk
- Grease the bottom and sides of your crock pot and add:
- oatmeal, water or juice, chopped fruit, raisins, honey and cinnamon.
- Set heat to low (or what the lowest setting is on your crock pot). I set mine on a timer to begin cooking at 3 am and finish at 6:30 am.
- The oatmeal is cooked when I wake up - then I add the sliced banana, walnuts and chai spiced milk.
- *chai spiced milk
- Heat milk (I use whole milk) in microwave (steaming but not scalded - add 2 chai tea bags for each cup of milk. Steep for about 10 minutes. Remove tea bags and add 1/4 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 tsp honey per cup of milk used. Pour into jar, cover and refridgerate. I make a couple of cups at a time - also good in tea.
NotesThe idea of fixing oatmeal in the crock pot came from my daughter, Heather.
She introduced this to our family ~ set up the crock pot Christmas Eve and a delicious, warm breakfast was ready in the morning.
I love waking up to a nice warm breakfast and have tried many this with many different kinds of fruit ~ sometimes I top it off with spiced chai milk. Because I make one serving I shopped around for a small crock pot and found the 1/5 quart with 3 heat settings is just perfect. I also got a timer to make sure the oatmeal doesn't overcook.