- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 80g butter, cubed
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.5l (6 cups) chicken stock
- 440g arborio rice
- 45g finely shredded parmesan
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- finely shredded parmesan, extra, to serve
- heat 40g of the butter and the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. add the onion and garlic, and reduce heat to low. cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 7 - 10 minutes or until the onion is light golden and soft. meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan over high heat. reduce heat to medium and keep at a simmer
- add the rice to the onion mixture and increase heat to medium. cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until the rice becomes slightly glassy in appearance.
- add a ladleful (about 1/2 cup) of the simmering stock to the rice mixture and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until it is all absorbed. continue to add the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly. allow the liquid to be absorbed before adding more. the rice will take about 20 - 25 minutes to cook. once the last ladleful of stock is just absorbed, the rice should be tender yet firm to the bite.
- remove from the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan parsley and remaining butter. taste and season with salt and pepper. divide the risotto among serving bowls, sprinkle with the extra Parmesan and serve immediately.