hoisin-glazed australian lamb shoulder with stir-fry noodles
• 8 Australian lamb shoulder chops, trimmed
• 2-3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
• 1-2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
• ¼ cup dry sherry or rice wine
• ¼ cup orange juice
• ¼ cup beef stock or water
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 1 teaspoon peanut or vegetable oil
• 7 ounce package rice noodles
• 8 stalks asparagus, ends trimmed and sliced
• ½ pound snap peas or preferred vegetables
1. Soak the noodles according to directions on packet, drain and rinse well. Set aside.
2. Brush the lamb generously with the hoisin sauce. Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan large enough to hold the chops in a single layer, on medium high. Add the chops and cook for 2 minutes each side to brown. Add the sauce ingredients, reduce the heat to low and simmer the chops, turning regularly, for about 8-10 minutes or until cooked as preferred. Add additional stock or sherry if sauce becomes too thick.
3. While chops are cooking, add the oil to a wok or nonstick frying pan over high heat, and stir-fry the asparagus and peas for 1-2 minutes until tender-crisp. Add the noodles and stir-fry just to heat through. Transfer stir-fry immediately to warm plates, top with the lamb and spoon over the sauce.