- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 75
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups wheat flour (or all purpose, or half of each)
- 1.5 cups water (to mix with yeast)
- 2 cups water (to use if you’d like to do the boiling step)
- 2 packets (4.5 teaspoons I think?) active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp agave (or slightly more of a dry sugar)
- 1-2 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp flaxseed + 2tbsp water (OR an egg white can sub)
- -Mix the agave with the warm water, and add the yeast. Wait for bubbles (2-3 min for me)
- -Mix together most of the wheat flour, all of the bread flour, and the salt
- -Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and start mixing. Add additional flour as needed, and kneed for approximately 5 minutes
- -If you want to add mix-ins to the dough, or make multiple flavors, separate the dough and add now.
- -Add the dough to a greased bowl, and let sit for one hour.
- -Once it’s grown to an exciting new size, break into balls and make holes, if you choose.
- -Let the dough settle for a 5-10 minutes here
- *** This is the step that the New Yorkers seem to swear by. At the risk of disgracing bagel lovers everywhere, I will say that I forgot to do this the first and third time I baked them, and truly didn’t notice a huge difference. I made sure to try it once for comparison purposes, but it
- really didn’t seem to effect the texture or flavor too much.. BUT, if you’d like …
- -… Bring about 2 cups of water to a boil and add a pinch of sugar. Reduce to a simmer, and toss a
- round of bagel dough in for a short 30 seconds, making sure to rotate half way through. Let drain and dry before proceeding, and repeat for the rest of the batch.
- -Preheat oven to 400F
- -Mix the flaxseed and water and let sit for a few minutes so it can gel up.
- Paint it onto the bagel, this part gives them their crispy exterior.
- -I add the seasonings to the top of bagels at this step as well.
- -Bake for 20-30 minutes (mine were good to go a little after 20), rotating half way through if you choose.
NotesChoosing to cut back on sweets, I found myself suddenly craving bagels, something that I have not felt in quite some time. I decided that as long as I was going after them I may as well see if I can't make them on my own, and a healthier version at that. So glad I did! One of my favorite recipes to date.