- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2 x 400 gms jars
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups apricots [or any other stone fruit] -halved and pitted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- apricot jam
- recipe has been adapted from 'Thought Palace' by Jens Alfke
- this mixture will fill approx. 2 x 400 gms jars
- Place all ingredients in a large non-aluminium pot. Allow the mixture to stand for at least two hours. The sugar will start to extract the water from the apricots, and you will end up with a sticky mixture.Put the pot on the stove and on high heat bring the mixture to a boil. Stirring continuously to avoid scorching. Once at a steady boil cook for 20-25 mins. You will need to skim the foamy scum that forms on top of this bubbling mixture. But don't stop stirring!
- Once the foaming stops it will be close to 20 mins. The mixture is ready when it has reduced by half in volume and it will look like a thick glossy bubbling jam. If it is too runny boil for another 5 mins -but no more.
- When ready take off heat. Pour the jam into the prepared jars*, fill up to 1/4 inch below the rim. Put their lids on and turn the jars upside-down. Once you have turned the last jar leave for 5 mins then turn them all right-side up. The jars should seal within 15 minutes with their lids 'popped' inwards. Any that do not must be kept in the fridge -just use them first. Label jams and store in a cool place. This jam will last up to 2 years.
- *to sterilize jars -put through the dishwasher and soak lids in a bowl filled with boiling water.
NotesI've tried to continue my 'festive cooking' of homemade cordials, chutneys, jams etc into the new year, and this is an easy peasy jam to make...there's no pushing wrinkly jam on a cold saucer business.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More