- Cooking Time: 8 to 9
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time:
- 4 1/3 c. sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 t. allspice
- 1 t. baking soda
- 3/4 c. shortening 1/2 t. salt
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 t. ginger
- 1 c. light molasses
- 3/4 t. cloves
- 3/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/3 c. water
- Mix and sift flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add molasses; beat well.
- Add flour mixture and water alternately, beating until well blended after each addition.
- Wrap dough in foil; chill overnight.
- Roll dough half at a time, about 1/4 inch thick. Cut with floured 4-inch round cookie cutter.
- Bake on lightly greased cookie sheets @ 375 degrees for 8 to 9 minutes or until just done, but not browned around the edges.
- Cool on racks.
- Store in airtight can or jar.cookies.
NotesThey’re made from a recipe that is over 100 years old - the pride of one man, Uncle Joe, as he was known to the people of Marblehead, Mass. Since he lived on the edge of a frog pond, the cookies soon became known as Joe Froggers.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Classic Chocolate RecipesSee More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More