- Cooking Time: 8 to 9
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time:
- 4 1/3 c. sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 t. allspice
- 1 t. baking soda
- 3/4 c. shortening 1/2 t. salt
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 t. ginger
- 1 c. light molasses
- 3/4 t. cloves
- 3/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/3 c. water
- Mix and sift flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add molasses; beat well.
- Add flour mixture and water alternately, beating until well blended after each addition.
- Wrap dough in foil; chill overnight.
- Roll dough half at a time, about 1/4 inch thick. Cut with floured 4-inch round cookie cutter.
- Bake on lightly greased cookie sheets @ 375 degrees for 8 to 9 minutes or until just done, but not browned around the edges.
- Cool on racks.
- Store in airtight can or jar.cookies.
NotesThey’re made from a recipe that is over 100 years old - the pride of one man, Uncle Joe, as he was known to the people of Marblehead, Mass. Since he lived on the edge of a frog pond, the cookies soon became known as Joe Froggers.