- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 35-38 meatballs
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 8 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup (5 to 6) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck (80% lean)
- 1 pound ground pork
- Olive oil, for frying
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Marinara sauce, warmed, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Dice the smoked mozzarella into 1/2-inch cubes. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the shallots, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, shredded mozzarella, parmesan, tomato paste, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until blended. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the beef and pork and, using a wooden spoon or clean hands, stir until combined. Form into 1 1/4-to-1 1/2-inch meatballs. Insert 1 cube smoked mozzarella into the center of each meatball and form the meat around it, enclosing the cheese.
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour equal parts olive oil and vegetable oil to fill the pan halfway. Heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 350 degrees F. In batches, fry the meatballs until dark brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Place the fried meatballs on a foil-lined baking sheet. Put in the oven and bake until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly, then serve immediately with marinara sauce, if desired.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
MetroCooking Texas 2013
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More