- Cooking Time: 40 min
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 60 min
- 1 (16 ounce) package small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 (9 inch) pie shell
- Place cottage cheese in strainer and let drain for about 1 hour or until most of liquid has been drained.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice, salt, egg yolks, evaporated milk, and regular milk.
- Mix well.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat egg whites until firm.
- Fold into batter until smooth. Pour into pie crusts.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), then reduce oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on racks, then refrigerate.
- Flavor improves if served a day after baking.
NotesWhen the cupboards are low, you learn to substitute ingredients. This recipe comes from such necessity. Try a slice, and you'll agree, it's an excellent alternative.
*This recipe works great in my KitchenAid food processor, by the way*
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More