- Cooking Time: 40 min
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 60 min
- 1 (16 ounce) package small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 (9 inch) pie shell
- Place cottage cheese in strainer and let drain for about 1 hour or until most of liquid has been drained.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice, salt, egg yolks, evaporated milk, and regular milk.
- Mix well.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat egg whites until firm.
- Fold into batter until smooth. Pour into pie crusts.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), then reduce oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on racks, then refrigerate.
- Flavor improves if served a day after baking.
NotesWhen the cupboards are low, you learn to substitute ingredients. This recipe comes from such necessity. Try a slice, and you'll agree, it's an excellent alternative.
*This recipe works great in my KitchenAid food processor, by the way*
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More