OLIVE SMALL PIES
- 1 water glass orange juice
- 1 water glass oil (1/2 olive oil and 1/2 vegetable oil)
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2-3 water glasses – pitted black olives (avoid olives preserved in vinegar)
- 3-4 large onions
- fresh or dried mint to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons oil
In medium bowl, mix all the pastry ingredients and knead to make a soft dough.
Cover and let stand while preparing filling.
Finely chop onions and brown slightly in skillet with oil.
If olives are not pitted, remove pits and cut in half.
Finely chop mint and add olives and mint to onions in skillet.
Strip and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool.
Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
Cut into circles with biscuit cutters or glass. Place one tablespoon filling on half a circle and fold other half to join edges.
Press edges to seal tightly.
Place in greased baking pan and bake in medium oven until browned.
Note: An olive roll can be made. In this case, roll out pastry into one rectangle.
Spread filling evenly on pastry and roll.
Press edges slightly and bake in moderate oven until browned.
Another variation is to divide and roll out pastry to size of pan and prepare as other pittes with one phyllo on bottom and other on top and filling in between