- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 4 veal shank
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup flour
- 4 ounces pancetta (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1. Season the veal with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour shaking off any excess.
- 2. Cook the pancetta in a large oven proof pan and set aside reserving the grease in the pan.
- 3. Brown the veal on all sides on med/high heat one at a time and set aside.
- 4. Add some more oil to the pan if needed and saute the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and lemon zest on medium heat until tender, about 7-9 minutes.
- 5. Add the wine, stock and tomatoes and deglaze the pan and bring to a simmer.
- 6. Add the pancetta, veal, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary and bring to a simmer.
- 7. Cover and transfer to a preheated 350F oven and cook until the veal is fall off the bone tender, about 1 to 2.5 hours, turning the veal over in the middle. (Check the liquid every once in a while and top it off with some more beef broth if it falls to half way up the veal.)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More