- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 4 veal shank
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup flour
- 4 ounces pancetta (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1. Season the veal with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour shaking off any excess.
- 2. Cook the pancetta in a large oven proof pan and set aside reserving the grease in the pan.
- 3. Brown the veal on all sides on med/high heat one at a time and set aside.
- 4. Add some more oil to the pan if needed and saute the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and lemon zest on medium heat until tender, about 7-9 minutes.
- 5. Add the wine, stock and tomatoes and deglaze the pan and bring to a simmer.
- 6. Add the pancetta, veal, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary and bring to a simmer.
- 7. Cover and transfer to a preheated 350F oven and cook until the veal is fall off the bone tender, about 1 to 2.5 hours, turning the veal over in the middle. (Check the liquid every once in a while and top it off with some more beef broth if it falls to half way up the veal.)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free Mama
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More