4 veal shank
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup flour
4 ounces pancetta (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
1 carrot (chopped)
1 stalk celery (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 lemon (zest only)
2 cups white wine
2 cups beef stock
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 sprig thyme
1 sprig rosemary
1. Season the veal with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour shaking off any excess.
2. Cook the pancetta in a large oven proof pan and set aside reserving the grease in the pan.
3. Brown the veal on all sides on med/high heat one at a time and set aside.
4. Add some more oil to the pan if needed and saute the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and lemon zest on medium heat until tender, about 7-9 minutes.
5. Add the wine, stock and tomatoes and deglaze the pan and bring to a simmer.
6. Add the pancetta, veal, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary and bring to a simmer.
7. Cover and transfer to a preheated 350F oven and cook until the veal is fall off the bone tender, about 1 to 2.5 hours, turning the veal over in the middle. (Check the liquid every once in a while and top it off with some more beef broth if it falls to half way up the veal.)