- Servings: 3 litres
- 3kg plums, washed and chopped
- 1.5kg sugar
- 6 cups cider vinegar
- 500g onions, peeled and roughly, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh green ginger
- 3 tablespoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- juice of 1 lemon
Place all ingredients in a very large saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is boiling. Continue to boil for 2 hours or until mixture is thick.
Strain through a coarse sieve. Bring back to the boil, then bottle and seal immediately. Consume at once or store in a cool, dry and dark place for up to 2 years.