- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 220gms adzuki beans, soaked over night in plenty of water
- 1.3 kg pumpkin, butternut squash, kent or jap
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 4-5 garlic gloves, whole with skins left on
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoonn ground coriander
- a handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1.75 litres vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoon of tamari or light soy sauce
- natural yogurt to serve [optional]
- pre heat oven to 200 deg C
- for butternut pumpkin, cut in half and scoop out the seeds.
- for the kent and jap fans cut into very large sections and remove seeds.
- rub with 1 tablespoon of the oil
- place on a baking tray and bake for 40-60 minutes or until soft.
- remove from oven and set aside
- or start the soup when your pumpkin is just about cooked.
- put remaining olive oil into a large saucepan [24 cm]
- add onion [ 3 cloves of chopped garlic -if you have not roasted] and ginger and saute over a low heat for approximately 5 minutes till onion is soft and lightly coloured.
- add the nutmeg and ground spices plus half of the coriander, stir through for 1 minute.
- scoop the flesh from the pumpkin plus the roasted garlic paste and add to the pan
- add to the pot the drained beans
- pour in stock, partly cover and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- check that the beans are tender by squishing one onto a bread board. the bean should easily smoosh.
- if cooked you can blend the soup. if it is too thin cook over medium heat at a high simmer until you have your desired consistency.
- check for taste and add the tamari or soy if needed.
- spoon into warmed bowls, top with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh coriander.
- sorry no pics..i forgot and ate the soup !!
Notesi have re-discovered adzuki beans. they are usually used in cakes and sweets as a red bean paste in asian cooking but they are also great in savoury dishes.... especially for vegos as they contain 25% protein.
my naturopath has put me on a high protien diet - i have sadly said good bye to my high in refined carbohydrates diet. oh how i miss my weekly pasta night and pizza has now become a guilty pleasure.
i used to be proud about eating carbs as every mo fo is on a protien diet -the NW / jennifer aniston loose a million kilos, carbs are evil blah blah blah.
but i am not on that type of diet.....oooh no! it's to make me big and strong not a nicole ritchie lollypop head!
shannon gave me a wonderful cookbook for my birthday wholefood for the family by jude blereu. she has some amazing recipes, especially soups!
i roasted the garlic with the pumpkin instead of adding it to the pan along with the onion. i used approx 4-5 cloves as roasting the garlic takes away its pungent flavour and gives it a creamy taste. it takes about half of the pumpkin's roasting time. their skins will be brown and crispy and inside will be soft. remove the skin and husk and mash to a paste. add it to the soup with the pumpkin.
otherwise use 3 cloves to saute in pan.