- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, extra lean*
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 whole bell pepper, chopped, (red, orange and yellow look nice)
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can kidney beans, canned, rinsed and drained
- 1 cans pinto beans, canned, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, canned, rinsed and drained
- 24 ounces salsa (hot to taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder
- 6 ounces tomato juice
- Brown ground turkey with onions, peppers and jalapeno, stirring occasionally. Add 2-3 tablespoons of chili powder. Add garlic when turkey is almost done. Add beans and stir in 1 24-ounce jar of the salsa of your preference. If the mixture seems a little dry, add tomato juice. Taste and adjust salt and pepper, other spices.
- *Be careful when buying ground turkey. Some it has added fat making it just as fatty as ground beef.
- Makes: about 10 1-cup servings
- Per Serving: 194 Calories; 4g Fat; 17g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
NotesOne of the many wonderful things about chili is how easily you can change out ingredients. I set out to make a turkey chili and decided to jazz it up by using a variety of beans as well. This version is the fire-alarm version but you can easily switch out all or part of the salsa with diced tomatoes. I use my own chili powder blend - which is pretty hot - but commercially there are a variety of blends suitable to every taste.
Sorry for the blurry photo!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Taste of CenturyLink
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!See More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More