- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds medium turnips, trimmed and left unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped savory
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Rounded 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (use a Microplane)
- Equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer PreparationPreheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle.
- Melt butter in an ovenproof 12-inch heavy skillet, then cool.
- Slice turnips paper-thin with slicer, then arrange one third of slices, overlapping tightly, in skillet, keeping remaining slices covered with dampened paper towels. Sprinkle with about a third of thyme, savory, kosher salt, and cayenne. Make 2 more layers.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat until underside is browned, about 10 minutes. Add cream and cook, covered, until center is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese, then bake, uncovered, until golden and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking for a Cure
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More