- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Main Ingredients:
- 1 Egg yolk mixture
- 1 Egg white mixture
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups sifted flower
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- Egg White Ingredients:
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Egg Yolk Ingredients:
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- Dry Procedure:
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Egg White Procedure:
- Beat on high speed egg whites and salt until moist peaks form about 1 1/2 minutes in large bowl.
- Beat in gradually the sugar.
- Egg Yolk Procedure:
- Beat on high speed egg yolks in a separate large bowl until thick and fluffy for about one minute.
- Gradually add in sugar.
- Stop mixer and Add lemon juice and pineapple juice.
- At slow speed add dry ingredients from before to the mixture until blended for about one minute
- Main Procedure:
- Fold egg yolk mixture into egg white mixture until blended.
- Pour into cake pan.
- Bake for 325 deg. F. for about 1 hour until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Invert cake pan to cool.
- Loosen sides with spatula and remove from pan.
- Use cream and strawberries to create a good presentation or eaten plain.
- Note: Cake can be frozen.
Episode Summary :
Since Yom Tov is fast approaching here is a great cake desert you can add to the end of the meal.
Yom Tov has come and gone and I've been behind lately but no issue we are going to keep trudging ahead.
This episode starts with a dancing purple dinosaur..
Ok... fine you know how it, starts. The same way it always starts.
Moving on.. Bubbe tells us about how to make parave sponge cake one of the most traditional deserts around. It is used for Yom Tov, shabbos, whenever you want it, it is always available.
You can eat it plain or with desert but the key is to try to make the recipe and you will not be disappointed.
Bubbe shows us the way her mother used to do it. We get to see her bowl and her beater. Bubbe shows us that the beater is still working like the day it was bought from the store.
After beating, mixing, adding, stretching, stirring, blending and everything else involved in making a cake we take a quick look at the special cake pan used.
Now it's time for the yiddish word of the day! Oh wait, no, what is this brand new segment? Ok lets go with it, I got questions, so lets ask Bubbe!
Shoshana asks: "Bubbe, I want low fat traditional recipes!" and Bubbe responds letting her know that we do everything simple and in fact many of the ingredients are in fact low fat.
You tube fan that contacted us by AOL IM asks: "Bubbe, is grape Jelly Kosher?" The answer to this is a certain brand that begins with S 32 ounces and is Concord Grape Jelly has a kosher symbol on it.
Now it is time once again for the yiddish word of the day and what is it this time? Why Kaledz Student of course. That translates to College student. It sounds the same but as Avrom notices there is a bit of an accent to it.
That being said back to the cake. The sponge cake is served with strawberries. Yum.... strawberries, my mouth is watering as I type this.
But of course we need a story. Uncle Peretz drank 5 or 6 glasses of tea. Can you imagine how large that pot of tea is! You have to check it out for yourself on the video.
See you next time
10 inch tube cake pan
w/ removable bottom
2 large bowls