VIETNAMESE-STYLE TOFU HERO WITH ASIAN SLAW
vietnamese-style tofu hero with asian slaw
- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30
- FOR THE TOFU
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, cut into 8 (1/4 incn) slabs
- TO ASSEMBLE
- 4 french demi-baguettes, split
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons chile oil
- 4 fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/2 english cucumber, cut lengthwise into 4 slices
- ASAIN SLAW
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/4 cup julienned carrot
- 1/2 cup julienned daikon radish
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- place all ingredients in a small bowl with 1/2 cup water and toss to combine.
1. Make the tofu: Preheat oven to 375F. In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except for the tofu. Pour into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Place the tofu slabs in a single layer in the baking dish. Turn over to coat with the marinade. Bake for 20 minutes, turning the tofu over halfway through.
2. Assemble the sandwiches: Spread half of each baguette with 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the chile oil. Layer 1 sprig of cilantro and 1 cucumber slice.
3. Place two pieces of the tofu and a spoonful of the Asian Slaw on each baguette half. Top with remaining baguette halves and cut sandwiches in half. Serve immediately.
I really like the book, besides having amazing recipes it is a good read.
Website Credit: http://www.talronnen.com/cookbook/