- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30
- FOR THE TOFU
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, cut into 8 (1/4 incn) slabs
- TO ASSEMBLE
- 4 french demi-baguettes, split
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons chile oil
- 4 fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/2 english cucumber, cut lengthwise into 4 slices
- ASAIN SLAW
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1/4 cup julienned carrot
- 1/2 cup julienned daikon radish
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- place all ingredients in a small bowl with 1/2 cup water and toss to combine.
- 1. Make the tofu: Preheat oven to 375F. In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except for the tofu. Pour into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Place the tofu slabs in a single layer in the baking dish. Turn over to coat with the marinade. Bake for 20 minutes, turning the tofu over halfway through.
- 2. Assemble the sandwiches: Spread half of each baguette with 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the chile oil. Layer 1 sprig of cilantro and 1 cucumber slice.
- 3. Place two pieces of the tofu and a spoonful of the Asian Slaw on each baguette half. Top with remaining baguette halves and cut sandwiches in half. Serve immediately.
NotesThis recipe comes from an amazing book that my mother-in-law thought that we might like and like we did. It is "the conscious cook" by Tal Ronnen.
I really like the book, besides having amazing recipes it is a good read.
My Family Cookbook
Bombshell Approved: Fast, Simple, Satisfying
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free MamaSee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More