- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 8 bacon slices,cut into 1inch pieces
- 1-lb dried pinto beans
- 5-1/2 cups water
- 2- onions chopped
- 8-large garlic cloves,minced
- 1-12oz. bottle dark beer
- 4-tsp ground cumin
- 1-tbls ground coriander
- 1-tbls sugar
- 1-tbls chile powder
- 1-jalapeno chile,chopped
- 3-plum tomatoes,chopped
- 1-cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook bacon in heavy large pot over medium heat till brown and almost crisp.Using slotted spoon,transfer to paper towels and drain,discard drippings.return bacon to same large pot.
- Place beans in same pot.Add water,onions and garlic,boil15 min.
- Reduce heat to medium.Add beer,cumin,coriander,sugar,chile powder,and jalapeno.
- Cover partially and simmer 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes to beans,cover partially and simmer 45 min.Uncover,simmer til beans are tender and mixture is thick,about 20 min.(can be made 1 day ahead.cover,chill.bring to simmer before serving)
- Stir cilantro into beans.Season with salt and pepper and serve with tortillas.
- 6 servings
NotesCalled frijoles borrachos in Mexico,these beans are accented with beer.Large cast iron pots simmer on the stoves of my Mexican amiga's kitchen's. Always served with tortilla's,and smiles
Breads and Pastry 101
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More