- Cooking Time:
- Servings: Makes 4 servings
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. finely diced onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/8 tsp. dried basil (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. dried oregano (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme (or to taste)
- crushed red pepper optional
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup canned, crushed tomatoes no salt added
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 4 oz. dry penne pasta whole wheat, as available
- Coat a meduim saucepan with cooking spray over medium flame. Add olive oil, onion, and garlic; saute until the onion begins to soften.
- Add basil, oregano, thyme, and crushed red pepper as desired. Stir to coat.
- Add tomato paste and stir, cooking, for about 1 minute.
- Finally, stir in crushed tomamtoes and bay leaf. Simmer for at least 20 minutes. If needed (if sauce tastes too acidic), add 1 tsp. sugar and simmer again for a few minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions (about 8 to 10 minutes). Draing pasta well.
- Divide cooked pasta among four dishes. Top with sauce, about 1/4 cup each.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More