- Cooking Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Servings: 20-25
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryWho doesn't love a big bowl of hearty chili in the middle of winter? This chili recipe came about when a friend of mine who happened to be a scout leader, was going on a camping trip with the rest of the boys from the troop in the middle of January. Since I was feeding an entire boy scout troop, the recipe had to be rather large, but don't fret, this recipe can easily be reduced by half. Being a college student majoring in Nutrition and who loves cooking and creating new recipes, I came up with this idea for a healthy chili that does not sacrifice any flavor. I ended up receiving nothing but positive feedback from everyone who tried the chili, so I hope anyone who makes this recipe is just as satisfied as well.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 lbs. ground turkey
- 3 lbs. ground 93% lean ground beef
- 2-16 oz. bag frozen chopped green peppers
- 2-16 oz. bag frozen chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes (or more if you prefer more heat)
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. mustard powder
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder (or more if you prefer more heat)
- 3 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2-28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1-6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1-40.5 oz. can red kidney beans
- 1-40.5 oz. can white beans
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot and add turkey. Cook until fully cooked and drain. Put turkey aside.
- Heat the other Tbsp. of olive oil in the same pan and add the green peppers, onions and garlic. Saute for approximately 8 minutes, or just until the onions begin to turn transparent. Add the cooked turkey.
- Once the meat has been returned to the pan, add all of the spices: black pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, oregano and chili powder.
- Next, add the worcestershire sauce, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir and cover for 15-20 over medium heat, or until mixture comes to a simmer.
- Rinse the kidney and white beans before adding to the chili. (This helps to cut down on unnecessary sodium.)
- Add the kidney and white beans. Stir and cover until mixture comes to a simmer again.
- Lastly, add the brown sugar and honey and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Decadent Desserts Made From
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knifeSee More
Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
GRILLED MISO-CITRUS SCALLOP LOLLIPOPS
Chocolate Panna CottaSee More