"KEEP THE SCOUTS WARM" CHILI
"Keep the Scouts Warm" Chili
- Cooking Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Servings: 20-25
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 lbs. ground turkey
- 3 lbs. ground 93% lean ground beef
- 2-16 oz. bag frozen chopped green peppers
- 2-16 oz. bag frozen chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes (or more if you prefer more heat)
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. mustard powder
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. oregano
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder (or more if you prefer more heat)
- 3 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2-28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1-6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1-40.5 oz. can red kidney beans
- 1-40.5 oz. can white beans
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
Heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot and add turkey. Cook until fully cooked and drain. Put turkey aside.
Heat the other Tbsp. of olive oil in the same pan and add the green peppers, onions and garlic. Saute for approximately 8 minutes, or just until the onions begin to turn transparent. Add the cooked turkey.
Once the meat has been returned to the pan, add all of the spices: black pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, oregano and chili powder.
Next, add the worcestershire sauce, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir and cover for 15-20 over medium heat, or until mixture comes to a simmer.
Rinse the kidney and white beans before adding to the chili. (This helps to cut down on unnecessary sodium.)
Add the kidney and white beans. Stir and cover until mixture comes to a simmer again.
Lastly, add the brown sugar and honey and let stand for 30 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!