- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAfter trying brownie after brownie my son-in-laws, 91 year old Mother and grandson awarded and named these as their all time favorite return favorites.
Hope you like these, enjoy!
- ½ cup sifted enriched flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate (3 ounces)
- 1/3 cup shortening (I only use Crisco)
- 2 fresh eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup nuts coarsely chopped
- Oil the pan and se the oven at 350º
- Sift the flour, measure, add baking powder and salt, and resift.
- Melt the chocolate and shortening in the top of a double boiler over boiling water. Remove when melted.
- Beat the eggs well, add sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in melted shortening and chocolate.
- Add the flour, blend well. Add the nuts and stir only enough to blend in.
- Spread in the greased pan, bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Test with a toothpick. When stuck in the middle of the baked batter the toothpick should come out clean and the top crust should be glossy and firm.
- Place pan on the cake cooler. When thoroughly cooled cut in squares and remove the squares carefully.
- Dust the top with confectioner’s sugar, if desired.