"OLD COUNTRY" POTATO SOUP
"Old Country" Potato Soup
- 4 potatoes cubed into 3/4" chunks
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 parsnips peeled and sliced
- 2 parsley roots peeled and sliced
- Leaves from parsley root chopped or tied in bundle if you prefer not to eat it.
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 12" piece of smoked Hungarian or Yugoslavian sausage(or try any other smoked sausage)sliced into 1/2" slices
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed in tea container
0Drizzle a little oil in pot and add onions and other root vegetables and cook over medium heat until onions become tender and golden. Next add sausage and just get it slightly browned. Sprinkle a few shakes of paprika onto the vegetables and sausage(approx. 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)and give mixture a stir. Dust with a little flour approximately same amount as paprika and stir to mix. Add the cubed potatoes and the caraway seeds as well as the parsley greens and cover with enough water. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through. Remove the caraway seeds when done and parsley leaves if you tied in bundle.
This soup is good with a good rye bread on the side . If you want the soup to have a little kick then use a spicier sausage.