- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 potatoes cubed into 3/4" chunks
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 parsnips peeled and sliced
- 2 parsley roots peeled and sliced
- Leaves from parsley root chopped or tied in bundle if you prefer not to eat it.
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 12" piece of smoked Hungarian or Yugoslavian sausage(or try any other smoked sausage)sliced into 1/2" slices
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed in tea container
- 0Drizzle a little oil in pot and add onions and other root vegetables and cook over medium heat until onions become tender and golden. Next add sausage and just get it slightly browned. Sprinkle a few shakes of paprika onto the vegetables and sausage(approx. 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)and give mixture a stir. Dust with a little flour approximately same amount as paprika and stir to mix. Add the cubed potatoes and the caraway seeds as well as the parsley greens and cover with enough water. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through. Remove the caraway seeds when done and parsley leaves if you tied in bundle.
- This soup is good with a good rye bread on the side . If you want the soup to have a little kick then use a spicier sausage.
NotesThis is a soup that I learned to make from my mother. She used to make it on those days when she couldn't figure out what to make and usually it was a cold weather soup. The soup uses lots of caraway (that is placed in loose tea container during the cooking) because it is supposed to be soothing to the stomach. I think it works. If you are not a fan of caraway seeds this is not the soup for you. You can add more veggies if you like; leeks instead or with onions, even rutabaga.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More