- Cooking Time: 180 minutes
- Servings: 24-28 Pigs
- Preparation Time: 60-90 minutes
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 2 t. ground pepper
- 2 large heads cabbage
- 2 27 oz. cans of sauerkraut
- Begin by removing the core of the cabbages. Separate, remove, and soften the cabbage leaves by putting the cabbage head in boiling water, use care to separate leaves and keep them whole. Place separated, softened leaves on a tray to drain and cool. In a large bowl, mix pork, rice, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper gently together until blended. In a large kettle, place 1 can of sauerkraut on the bottom of the pot. Begin assembling the "Pigs" by taking 1/2 C. mixture, shape into an oblong ball, place in a cabbage leaf and fold sides of the leaf in and roll. Place the bundle on the sauerkraut bed in the pot, continue wrapping bundles. Once all bundles are in the pot, cover the "Pigs" by spreading a can of sauerkraut over the bundles and place any leftover cabbage leaves on top of the sauerkraut. Cover. Refrigerate overnight. To cook, fill the kettle with water until water just covers the bundles. Bring to a boil, reduce to a gentle boil or simmer for approximately 3 hours. Check hourly and add water as needed to keep the "Pigs" covered. To serve, place a bed of cooked sauerkraut in a serving dish and place the "Pigs" on tope. Serve with fresh baked dinner rolls.
NotesThis Slovak dish was always on the table when the extended family gathered for holidays and special events. "Pigs", or holubky was something we came to look forward to eating while we enjoyed being together. Growing up, we learned that feeding the family with limited resources was a challenge and a way to make it happen was to stretch the meat dish by adding rice and cabbage. Our CenturyLink team works to make our resources stretch and this dish is a reminder that stretching resources is a good thing to do.
Submitted by: "John Gerbozy"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!See More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More