- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper* seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2-1/2 cups milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces process American cheese, cubed
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in beef and 2 cups
- of milk; heat through. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add cayenne if desired. Top with bacon just before serving.
- Editor's Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, use rubber or plastic gloves to protect your hands. Avoid touching your face.
- Yield: 6-8 servings (about 2 quarts).
NotesThis has been a favorite of ours since I found it in TOH!
Breads and Breakfasts: Bakin' Without Eggs...or Dairy!
Growers' Giveback Potluck
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More