- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 TBS sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup cold butter (NO substitutes)
- 1 1/2 cup flavored coffee creamer (the liquid kind in the dairy section)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cup stir-ins* such as chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit, etc.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter into mixture until it resembles pea-sized crumbs. Whisk together creamer and egg yolk.
- Add stir-ins. Dump the whole thing on a floured board and knead it about 20 times until smooth and forms a dough. Divide into 2 and pat each part into a 7"circle.
- Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before removing from pan. The recipe makes 16 scones.
- *STIR-INS: Coffee creamer flavors - pick whatever you like and stir in what you think might taste good with it. Some ideas: Cherry-Almond Amaretto Scones (Amaretto creamer, 3/4 C chopped almonds and 3/4 C dried cherries); Cinnamon-Hazelnut (hazelnut creamer, 1 1/2 C cinnamon chips); Chocolate-Hazelnut (hazelnut creamer & 1 1/2 C chocolate chips).