ARROZ-CON-GANDULES (RICE AND PIGEON PEAS)
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 4 cups of rice
- 3 cans of gandules
- 3 cups of pork cut in cubes
- 1/2 cup of sofrito
- 1/2 cup of cilantro
- 1 can of cucunut milk
- 3 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of olives
- 2 envelops of sazon culantro & achiote
- salt and pepper to taste
- In 8 quart pot fry the pork until all pink is gone.
- add the sofrito, the olives, the sazon, salt and pepper.
- drain the water of the gandules in a mesuring cup, add the coconut milk and add water until you come up with 41/2 cups of liquid, set aside.
- add the rice to the pot, stir and then add the liquid.
- lower the heat, cover and cook until water in gone.
- Then uncover the rice stir and add the gandules, cover again and cook for 45 min.
- Before the 45 min stir the rice one more time.
- The reasson I put the pigeon peas at the end is for not to over cook them. This way they stay hole in the las minutes of the rice has been cooking.
- Add the cilantro when rice is done.
This is very traditional in Puerto Rico around Christmas time. The day of Thanksgiving is when we start cooking this dish. We take proud of our Arroz-con- Gandules. At work we all gather and bring a traditional dish, every time I cook mine rigth there in the kitchen of the break room, the president of the bank I work for, love it. He even eat the crunchy part that stick to the pot.