Absolute Best Rolled Butter Cookies
- Cooking Time: 6
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 20
- * 2/3 cup butter, softened
- * 1/2 cup sugar
- * 1 egg, beaten well
- * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- * 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- * 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- * decorator icing, in various colors or confectioner's sugar icing, colored with food coloring (optional)
- Cream butter and sugar well.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Combine baking powder and flour.
- Add gradually to creamed mixture.
- Chill until firm.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out dough to about 1/4" thickness on a lightly floured surface and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes on cookie sheets lined with Reynolds Parchment Paper.
- When cool, decorate with frosting or icing if desired.
My mother in law has been making these for Christmas for years and years. Our Christmas wouldn't be complete without these...it's become a tradition for me and my kids, decorating them after cutting and baking. They are the best when iced, but sometimes I just sprinkle on colored sugar before baking. I call them "Play Dough" cookies because that's what the dough smells like to me! (Don't worry, they don't taste like Play Dough!) Note: I double the recipe.